I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

You-tube..No! You-tube!

Ever since Salil introduced me to the wonders of uploading video snapshots and watching other people's attempts at home movies and videos, I've been addicted to You tube. So I just spent an evening browsing through and trying to find videos of all my favourite music...most of which I haven't seen (only heard) seeing as they are all International hits not to be seen on Lowest-Common-Denominator channels like Channel V and MTV (Honestly, if it wasn't for VH-1, I think I'd be in Bollywood heaven with all the Hindi only stuff that happens on music TV in India)...

Anyway, check out some of my favourite songs and their videos.

Twiggy Twiggy - Pizzicato 5.. Twiggy is what M. used to call me..cause I was obsessed by this song and I think I made him hear it like 20 times. It's also one of the cutest songs lyrics wise I know..and Nomiya Maki is soooo cute!

One Man Guy - Rufus Wainwright..One of my favourite songs sung by one of my favourite singers in one of my favourite places in the world. Sigh.


Salama ya Salama
- Alabina..This group brings together both my loves..Arabic music and flamenco. *shudders as Himesh Reshammiya makes an Indian version*

Mistaneek - Natacha Atlas..I have a different version of this song, but seeing this video makes this the more appealing one.

Ya Tayr - Fairuz..I was on a date once in Boston where my Lebanese date sang this to me at a bar. Since then, I've loved this song.

Elo Hi - Ofra Haza.. You can keep your Barbra Streisand's and Judy Garlands and Madonnas..Ofra Haza will be MY true Diva.

I also love by Ofra Haza Im Nin Alu, the original of that horribly remixed 80's international hit, Kaddish, one of the few songs that gets me emotional...

And a couple from the love of my life, the father of my unborn kids, Tarkan...
Hup, Sikidim and Simarik..I close my eyes and imagine that kiss was just for me...

And finally, You-Tube is my source (thanks to Salil again) for cheesy South Indian movie songs..including my two favourites Tik Tik Tik and Love me or Hate me...always has me rolling in the aisles.

I'm currently trying to get a bunch of stuff the Orkutkars made up on You-Tube. I should probably have a link to it once I get OK's frmo everyone in it!

Current Music:
Simarik - Tarkan

Like I said, that kiss was just for me!

19 Comments:

  • At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    somehow i always thot the M person was a chick ...

    .:boomshanker:.

     
  • At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You didn't have to mention Himesh uncle you know....

    Loveme or hate me is a huge favourite of mine too now -- the subtitles especially!

     
  • At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there,
    I just started following up on your recommendations and reading your unique experiences. Can't not do that after the spot on, IIT, tam-brahm quizzing stereotypes you described. That brings back some distant memories.

     
  • At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you seen this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=864B8BiIFJw
    It's a whole new lifestyle...

     
  • At 12:19 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Boomshankar: You need to read the blog more LOL! M. is all man.

    Mitali: Sadly, I have started talking like the subtitles in that song...Let our red lips make heaven on earth..

    Anydamnguy: Your video is flagged as innappropriate...

    Zai: I took the zoom clouds bit from you..it's a great idea! Welcome by the way..you a quizzer too? Notice you're in Boston..

    Zio: Man! How have you been? I thought you'd forgotten all about me..Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the awesome guy who introduced me to Ivan Kupala and DDT/Akvarium! I miss you Zio, come to India and see me!

     
  • At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm horribly mired in this grad school thing. It just won't let me go! arghghgth. Your blog, btw, is in my bookmarks bar, right at the top of the browsah.

     
  • At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh also, I'm going to Boston tomorrow. I'll kiss the ground there for you.

     
  • At 12:45 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Don't forget to Pahk the Cah in Hahvahd Yahd.

    And P.S. did you know the ST. Petersburg Cafe closed down? Where do all the mafia hang out now? That awesome deli in Brighton that you took me to?

    PS In your honor, I'm listening to Brovi (and also, I can now read and write in Cyrillic)

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger Hob Gadling said…

    Ah if we're doing this YouTube thing here's a gem!

    ABCDEF Cookie Monster

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, I'm in Bahston ;) (Allston actually, but you get the idea) and no, I'm not a quizzer, but have a few fanatic quizzer acquaintances to know what you mean.
    The zoomclouds stuff is good, but I need to decrease the size on mine at some point. It screams 'bitches' in size 24 font right now. Not good.

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In case you haven't already, do listen to Rufus Wainwright singing 'he aint heavy, he's my brother'.

    Wicked, wicked!

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it's Liza with a "Z" not Lisa with an s cause lisa with an "S" goes ssss not zzzzzz

    duncan.

     
  • At 3:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tarkan is wonderful, you are right! But as for "Salma ya salama", you must check out the original by the one and only Dalida - if Ofra Haza is your queen, Dalida is mine.
    Hey - I like your blog (and your Orkut profile made me giggle a bit...)!

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just checkin to make sure you are all right.

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ofra Haza is zimbly incredible...

    You oughta listen to Oum Kalthoum sing Inta Omri...one hour of undiluted bliss!

    :)

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dood, you should post something so people like me know you're alive ;)

     
  • At 10:34 PM, Blogger Num said…

    Talking of Youtube,here's a favourite.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=9s977KW0CBA

    and another :
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-_CSo1gOd48

    Tik Tik Tik was howl-arious
    (thanks Riggy)
    speaking of which,what on this
    nicredibly-small-earth are you doing here.

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger Pushpendra said…

    TRULY MADLY DEEPLY TOUCHED BY Twiggy Twiggy SONG.....UR THE BAAP OF ALL .....

    Cheers MATE....

    JAI HIND

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Blogger Pushpendra said…

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wljjTpJHVNg&search=runaway%20train

    Soul Asylum : Runaway Train

    mate i thnk u'll like it. let me knw pal.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home