I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 11, 2006

The city

You said: "I'll go to another country, go to another shore,
find another city better than this one.
Whatever I try to do is fated to turn out wrong
and my heart -like something dead- lies buried.
How long can I let my mind moulder in this place?
Wherever I turn, wherever I look,
I see the black ruins of my life, here,
where I've spent so many years, wasted them, destroyed them totally."

You won't find a new country, won't find another shore.
This city will always pursue you.
You'll walk the same streets, grow old
in the same neighbourhoods, turn grey in these same houses.
You'll always end up in this city. Don't hope for things elsewhere:
there's no ship for you, there's no road.
Now that you've wasted your life here, in this small corner,
you've destroyed it everywhere in the world.

Constantine P. Cavafy

9 Comments:

  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger roswitha said…

    Thanks for posting this. It's a perfect homecoming thought for myself.

     
  • At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Like beautiful bodies of the dead who had not grown old/
    and they shut them, with tears, in a magnificent mausoleum,/
    with roses at the head and jasmine at the feet --/
    this is what desires resemble that have passed/
    without fulfillment; with none of them having achieved/
    a night of sensual delight, or a bright morning.

    Desires, C.P. Cavafy

     
  • At 7:10 AM, Blogger Fanaah said…

    Ironically, I left Bbay for shores abroad. Turns out I hate living in singapore and just long to be back in bombay. true words and so timely postsed :)

     
  • At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bombay is a city that welcomes you only if you become one with it.

    She makes it so difficult to leave, that you have to leave one part of yourself behind.

    Two months out-- I still hear the horns, think of the breezes and the cacophony of the 2nd class ladies' compartments, and long for the panoramic views of bandstand.

    Meenu misses Mumbai
    :(

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i miss bombay


    :boom shanker:

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The poem is less about places and more about us, I think. Our view of the world is a reflection of our view of ourselves. So we can escape from a place or an event or a point in time...but can we escape from ourselves?

    - Sud

     
  • At 5:44 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Hmm..3 out of 6 understood what I wished to say with this poem...

    That's not bad..50% seeing as out of people I talk to only about 10% get what the feeling means.

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it hurts, this poem

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow! i'm teary eyed!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home