I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Wish you were me?

Nowhere special to go, no one special to hang out with, read all the books I have, heard every single CD I own, watched every movie out there and then some, climbed every mountain / forded every stream, drank enough coffee to make my bladder beg for mercy, singlehandedly finished off the entire rum production of the nation of Cuba, walked through Bandra till my shoes wore out, played a half-dozen computer games, sat through some excruciatingly boring TV, spent "quality time" with my parents, learnt the words to "Kaddish" (Hebrew), "Boro Boro" (Persian) and "Abdel Kader" (Arabic), realized I only have 8 people I would want to invite to my sister's wedding, wrote another chapter of my book, spent 4 Grand that I should not have on fantastic shoes, ate at Basilico alone 3 times, walked through Banganga, got sick from too many Punjab Sweet House samosas, deleted some email and a lot of phone numbers, refused a woman, lost a kilo, bought "The Faraway Tree" by Enid Blyton and drowned in nostalgia, sorted out my photos from Virginia, began writing 2 letters - never finished, read some Cafavy, investigated MBA programs and immigration options, divided my friends into 4 groups - straight men (30%), straight women (55%), gay men (10%), gay women (5%), pondered my views on reservation, abortion and illegal immigration over many cups of chai, downloaded my first ringtone ever - The winner takes it all (Abba), ate some beef, smoked a joint, cried over Sigur Ros songs, laughed at Russel Peters, discussed AbFab and Little Britian with a friend's ex, called the barman at Seijo "Myfanwy" as I ordered a Bacardi and Coke, went sherwani shopping, yelled at guy throwing trash out of his car on my street, created a manifesto for myself if I ever chose politics as a career, tried to learn Photoshop and Dreamweaver, started a Bombay community on Orkut, went running on Bandstand at midnight, stood in line at the new KFC, set up an appointment with the dentist, window shopped at the mall, ate a footlong Subway sandwich and still felt hungry, lost my house keys, did a Tickle quiz, shaved my head to spite my face.

This has been a week in the life of the Vikster.

11 Comments:

  • At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i wish i were you. you write letters? on paper?

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Blogger Hob Gadling said…

    What's the book about, Tanushree did an MBA in Insead and goshdarnit that's a long sentence.

     
  • At 11:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Does the shaved head have anything to do with the consumption of the Cuban Rum?

    Or was it, like has happened with me, a case of too much time on my hands and not enough ideas in the head.

    And, I agree with the guy who commented on your new look. Your attempts to spite the face have been clearly thwarted. While I may not go so far as to call it "cute", it is certainly not a "eeks" thing.

    Viraf D

     
  • At 7:45 AM, Blogger roswitha said…

    Well hello.

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think I like you better with a little more hair - but you're still adorable!

     
  • At 2:28 AM, Blogger The Goddess said…

    the faraway tree... :-)

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A week well spent, honest Vikram.

    Btw, am I invited?? :D

    Rohan

     
  • At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Nowhere special to go, no one special to hang out with"

    Next time you feel like this, drop me a line. Almost always doing something & you're most welcome to join me & the gang.

    Nice place you have here :)

    Ciao

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Since when do you drink bacardi??? I remember you saying you hated it..

     
  • At 2:25 AM, Blogger Purple sunbird said…

    Hi,

    Came to your blog thru a friend's blog and really liked it. Couldnt help noticing that you're considering INSEAD. I think you will totally love it. I'm an alumna myself (graduated Jul'05 am from Hyderabad). All the very best.

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    pjlzxgnhey-

    came across this thingy (blooger thing) whilst looking for the lyrics of a Punjabi song??? Wierd, eh?

    I live in London- I', half Indian /half New Zealander,

    hey- write to you- it will be fun:

    panthermanchanda@yahoo.co.uk

     

Post a Comment

<< Home