I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Cheers sweetie!


"New York will never be the same after Seven-Eleven"
"Huh?"
"I meant..Twenty four-Seven"
"MUM! Nine-Eleven!"
"I knew that..Nine-Eleven sweetie, I knew that!"

Just one of the many many incredibly funny lines from my favourite TV show in the world. ONe for which I would wake up at 3 am (and have!). I've even had a marathon viewing (24 hours) non-stop..including repeats and behind-the-scenes stuff. The show? Absolutely Fabulous starring Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley.

Any show that has lines like these deserves my entire viewing pleasure and respect: "Why, oh why, do we pay taxes, um? I mean, just to have bloody parking restrictions and buggery-ugly traffic wardens, and bollocky-pedestrian-bloody-crossings, and those bastard railings outside shops, so you can't even get in them? I mean, I know they are there to stop stupid people running into the street and killing themselves, but we're not all stupid, we don't all need nursemaiding. I mean, why not just have a 'Stupidity Tax', just tax the stupid people!"

I fell in love with this show after watching it on Comedy Central as just another BritCom (people who know me will remember my BritCom craze and my mania for quoting everyone from Mrs. Slocum to Basil Fawlty and Father Ted). Then I discovered just how awesome this show really is..the writing is incredibly witty (Are British people born with a rapier-sharp wit and fantastic bloddy accents?), the acting is...bloody fabulous..and the two main actors? Oy vey!

Joanna Lumley as Patsy Stone (Pats!) is EVERY gay man's idea of what is an ideal woman. She's a fashionista ("Sweetie, you can never go wrong with gloves, shoes or hats"), incredibly bitchy ("Eddy, your stomach's just like a dog waiting to be fed - it just hangs there until you want to kick it) and horny as heck ("Oh, he was just a windscreen washer I picked up at the traffic lights. Buns so tight he was bouncing off the walls."). Plus her drug and booze habit (She hasn't eaten since 1973 .. though she did eat a crisp in one episode and a bit of turkey in the Christmas one). Oh man, the number of Patsy clones I've seen at Pride parades in Boston is insane!

Jennifer Sanders as Edina Monsoon (Eddy!) is my favourite ever for the hundreds of lines she's provided me to quote for almost every occasion. She runs a PR agency ("What do I do sweetie? Well, I PR things dahling!"), has abominable taste in clothes with a love for Lacroix who she worships and needs to be up to date with EVERY single fad that's current in celebrity-land ("Who wouldn't put up with some slight crystallization in the lower abdomen and a not entirely unpleasant trickling sensation for THAT amount of cleavage?").

This is one of the few things I can watch on telly that is guarenteed to make me guffaw and forget my woes. Which is why I never go too far from my AbFab DVDs. I love you Pats and Eddy!

Current Music:
Sweet Dreams of you - Patsy Kline

To honor the other Patsy, this song. Patsy Kline is probably one of my favourite singers of all time. And her songs are just so incredible in the amount of feelings they convey and can bring out. Feelings I'm feeling right now just hearing the lines....
"Sweet dreams of you
Things I know can't come true
Why can't I forget the past, start loving someone new
Instead of having sweet dreams about you"

12 Comments:

  • At 6:29 AM, Blogger roswitha said…

    Wow. And I was just bemoaning the fact that every time I needed something funny with a female protagonist, culture provided me with nothing better than Pride and Prejudice, Bridget Jones and Cold Comfort Farm. This sounds wonderful. I wish I was still using illegal P2P.

    So - what did you think of Blackadder? (You had to use BS Player, if I recall correctly.)

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    You know Cold Comfort Farm??????

    MARRY ME ROSWITHA!

    P.S. There be no butter in hell.

     
  • At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    have you seen the episodes of abfab with emma bunton in them? :)

     
  • At 7:00 AM, Blogger roswitha said…

    I LOVE COLD COMFORT FARM IT IS TOTALLY THE BEST BOOK OMG.

    my P.S. It can be a fake wedding, but the cake must be real.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger Vijayeta said…

    I've been dying to watch AB fab for the longest time! And NOW u mention you've the DVD's. Wanna watch 'em this weekend?

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Anony: Of course I have. I can quote them verbatim. I own the DVDs as I mentioned!

    Roswitha: CCF was required viewing every year at Thanksgiving in my family (in phoren of course..here for Diwali we watch Golmaal).
    "You know them godless cigarettes ye carry in yer hands?"

    Vij: Sure can do. You have a DVD player? I'll bring them along.

     
  • At 8:55 PM, Blogger Hob Gadling said…

    Hey Vikster, I just emailed you my number at vikster6aa9 at yahoo dot com.

     
  • At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i am soooo jealous, ive been *dying* to see the emma ones

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    *Start of my most selfish comment yet*

    I have not seen AbFab yet but probably know more about it than most people who have seen it. Now I am hoping a knight in superman T will loan me the DVDs even when I know they are probably very precious to him. And I also know I'm a total stranger to him. And I know I'm wishing for too much here. And that I cannot repay him with an intellectual discussion on one of those books he keeps reading.

    Oh! why am I not a slut who can seduce anyone and then slip out with the DVDs while they are sleeping?

    *End of selfish comment*

     
  • At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the funniest part of abfabs are the colors!!
    And yes ...i agree..brit coms are the best and the accent makes me horny...horny?? its cute.

     
  • At 3:35 AM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Sanjay,
    You may seduce me.

    Forgive me if I forget how to respond. It's been too long.

    Yuo will get the DVDs based on performance.

     
  • At 4:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    now, why couldnt *i* have posted what sanjay said before he did >:( *sulk*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home