I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Sour Apple Martini anyone?

Not a blatant advert for this blog, but a genuine invite to try something I "absolut"ely love. I'm amazed at the number of people who think martinis are something you drink once people call you Uncleji or Mr. Bond.

I tasted my first sour apple martini at Therapy, this uber-fancy-schmancy lounge bar in New York. Since I was being paid for that evening (Well, it was a date and I was planning on putting out), I figured I'd try it out...and about 4 martinis later, I'd found my new love.Well, you say Potato, I say Addiction.

I went up to the bar and watched the barman make the drink (well, I just sorta watched the barman, I actually learnt how to make the drink later..). I tried this drink at various parties in Boston till I perfected my technique (strangely, I learnt other things that weekend in NYC that I perfected over the months in Boston...a "red-letter' weekend in more ways than one apparently). Here's the magic recipe.


Ingredients:

Mixing instructions:

Poor all ingredients into a shaker. Shake well and strain into a Martini glass.

Comments:

If you want to make it look really nice, you can garnish it with a thin slice of green apple.

Hmm.
What else do I like to drink? Vodka is my alcohol of choice. Grey Goose for shots. Ketel One or Absolut for martinis. I used to be a Stolichnaya guy once upon a time. Smirnoff is CRAP. As for the flavoured vodkas....shudder.

I suppose I also like Rum. Rhum Babancourt from Haiti is my favourite. Smooth and with a bite. Old Monk with Coke is next on the list. Again, Bacardi is CRAP!

And Schnapps. Peach to be precise. Just slicing up some watermelon and muskmelons and pineapples and letting them macerate in peach schnapps in the fridge and then eating them out on the porch on a sunny Boston day..umm..heaven! It's amazing just how cheap peach schnapps s in Bombay compared to the other liquors. I only assume it's becasue no one has yet discovered the uses it can be put to..

Anyhoo, it's almost the weekend (Wednesday today! Woohoo!), so it's about time I start deciding which bar gets my custom this w/e. I'm guessing it's the GB party for me on Saturday. I better drink some before getting there. It's always so depressing!

Current Music:
H to the Izzo - Jay-Z


7 Comments:

  • At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    and hello to u too.. dare i hope for a dance this saturday? ;-) and yes, i must send u my sincerest apologies for the spd dating thingy - it was a whole lotta fun! ;-)

     
  • At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The sour apple martini truly is the greatest drink. I'm also a huge fan of Mandarin martinis (mandarin orange vodka, a bit of cointreau [sp?], some orange schnapps, and orange juice to taste), and raspberry kamikazes. Mmmm.

     
  • At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wait ... i think your missing a very key Ingredient, you have to try adding Vermouth (Martini & Russo ) to it.

    Its much better then. I add everything else exactly as you mentioned ... try it with the Vermouth.

     
  • At 10:37 PM, Blogger Vikster said…

    Ooh vermouth!

    I'm not a huge fan of adding it to apple martinis though. I do like it in my Dirrty martini (extra *r* added for emphasis..)

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    what about those creamtinis..?..i had this really nice 'Tiramisu'tini at a Bertucci's once...was kinda hooked to it..wicked good!!...and i used to be from the dont-dirty-my-martini-with-flavors guy...ha!....

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    but heres my all time favourite....

    1 1/2 shots of Belvedere (i know, but trust me, wont work with anything else!!)
    1 shot of Cinnamon Vodka
    a splash of Ginger schnapps
    a coupla shots of Lychee juice
    Vermouth enough for swishing the glass with..
    a green chilly slit lengthwise(stick to the stirrer).


    Swish ur glass with Vermouth and dump it out. Shake the rest of the ingredients and strain into a martini glass, stick the stirrer with the chilly in and twist a lemon/orange peel out if u really want some citrus.....voila..i call it the MANtini...:)

     
  • At 2:34 AM, Blogger Shahrukh said…

    This blog is great source of information about saint patrick’s day which is very useful for me. It very important information about saint patrick’s day
    Thank you very much for this useful information.

    Thanks for this great information.

    Best Green Apple Cocktail Recipe For Saint Patrick’s Day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home