I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Monday, May 16, 2005

I eat..therefore i am...

Remarkably skinny that is.

Why is that I wonder? I've been skinny since I was a wee waif wailing wondering wistfully when we warranted weaning (I've always hated milk...breast and otherwise). OK. I admit that sentence didn't make sense but I've been dying to alliterate for weeks now.

Today's entry (or entree if you please) involves my love affair with food (One of the few things guaranteed NOT to dump me). Or more specifically, my list of what I like to eat and where to find it. And no. A certain person in Boston is not going to be listed on here so all you guttersnipes can cleanse your mind and your palates RIGHT NOW!

1. Pasta - I love pasta so much I think I was an Italian in my past life. Maybe an old Neapolitan woman called Maria Guieseppina Paravicini-Soldati.
The best pasta in Boston was at Pomodoro in the North End. I still remember the simple fettucini arrabiata I had there on a date once. I could see that the date was going nowhere so I was all about a sauce with garlic and pepper...Oy! I can still taste it. (The pasta not the date).

2. Bhel Puri - This is why I'm a Bombayite. Or make that..*remain* a Bombayite. A mix of fluffy rice, 2 types of chutney, onions, potatoes and puris...all tossed together into this delish mix eaten right off a soggy piece of newspaper. Yum.
Best Bhel Puri? Well, ever since ShivPrasad the BhelpuriWalla moved, I'd have to say Elco Arcade on Hill Road in Bandra. Plus, the owners are cute.

3. Pizza - Maria Guissepina? Si Mama? Dove trovate la pizza migliore? Ahha!
Tough question. Simply because pizza is a student meal in my opinion. So I will go back to my student days in Virginia (No No not the convent at San Giorgio Maggiore..that was a last birth).
Papa John's Meat Special wins my vote. (and the pizza was good too)

4. Daal-Chawal - OK not really. It's just something I wanted to say to make the proliteriat believe I'm like them. What I meant to say was tiramisu.
Best Tiramisu? I'm going to commit foodie-sacrilege when I say it's the packaged stuff you get at Trader Joe's. Sometimes, good things come in small packages. (No, not you M.!)

5. Butter Chicken - One day I want to write an ode to Butter Chicken. How I love thee? Let me count the ways....with roomali roti, naan, plain rice, jeera rice, green pea pulao, chicken biryani, mutton biryani, blah blah..ending with a piece of chewy cardboard.
Best Butter Chicken? Pritam-da-dhaba in Dadar, Bombay. Sitting under the stars on a "charpai", listening to a singer warbling away in the corner and digging into the softest, smoothest Chicken dish ever. Can someone say heavenly?

Of course, in my ideal life, I'd come home everyday to a meal of Pasta, Pizza, Butter Chicken, Bhel Puri and Tiramisu.
How do I not get fat? Oh yeah. It's probably because I eat half a chapatti and a bowl of daal for dinner everyday (Hey! Looking this hot is a lot of work!)

Random website:
http://www.blogthings.com/whosyourinnereuropeanquiz
Who is your inner European?
Here's mine:
Your Inner European is Italian!

Passionate and colorful.
You show the world what culture really is.

So true! I'm passionate, colorful (Well, brown is a color) and cultured (only make potty jokes in male company).
Plus I think fuck-me boots are cool too.

Current music:
Oh Sanam - Lucky Ali

5 Comments:

  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger Bhumi said…

    Well, first thought that comes to mind after reading this post is, Damn you! :-D

    I am starving now especially for Butter Chicken Yum yum!!
    Btw, I don't like people like you - eat whatever you like and not get fat. :-(
    Not the case here...sad...

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Viks,

    You have really made me hook on to your site....Infact I read all your previous articles or whatever u say...

    Cheers
    Manish.. hope u remember

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger livinghigh said…

    ass! now i'm hungry!
    and it's 12.10 am!
    ASSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

    ;-) ure treating me at noorani's sometime soon!

     
  • At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lets not talk about the developing paunch that is the fruits of your edible labor my friend. I suggest another visit to Forever Fit! Pretty soon you won't be able to fit into those tini wini bikinis. Hahaha. MUAH.

     
  • At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    foodies rock. there are too few of us around my friend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home