I *heart* Bombay (and well..Boston)

I'm urban..in the way other people are mountain-people or tunafish junkies. I love city life...something about dreary concrete blocks and grumpy people totally gets my juices flowing. Ergo, this will be a blog about me, my two favourite cities (Bombay and Boston), my addiction to Vietnamese coffee and my views on Gregorian chant and it's efficacy in curing some types of tympannic membrane rupture. Enjoy!

Monday, October 29, 2007

Seen around Bangalore

So I have this annoying habit of using my cellphone to take pictures of bad English (sorta inspired by engrish.com) as seen on the streets of Bangalore..I also have an el crapioso phone that has images that would look better if I got a kid with a crayon to sketch them out - the perils of being poor and tech-UNsavvy.

I'm totally discounting the extra "h" I see on every name out here..but I feel that deserves a mention, doesn't it Satheesh and Geetha?

1. At a weighing machine thingie at Garuda Mall "Look Straight before inserting".

2. On a menu at Empire on Church Street "Brian Dry with Onions"

3. In a lift heading up my office building "If you are stuck-up in this lift, please dial Emergency"

4. On a signboard off Brigade Road "Caution: Dead Slow Hump Ahead"

5. At an Esprit sale at Lifestyle "Buy any two bottoms and get any top ABSOLUTELY FREE!"

6. At American Icecreams on Brigade road "Nigerlone (sic) flavour"

7. On M.G. Road, "Pick any top, yours for Rs. 100"

8. Also on M.G. Road "Cycle pushing NOT ALLOWED".

9. On a menu at a Shant(h)isagar on CMH road "Baby Masala Dosa"

10. Behind a rickshaw in Domlur "Ladies people are evils people"

11. HSBC bank, M.G. Road, memo "Entrance through backside"

12. In a lift (what is it about lifts and English issues?), "Electronic Hooters".

11 Comments:

  • At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You lost me on the Nigerlone. I can't figure out what it's meant to be in reality. :-/

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is hilarious!

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    is tis a repeat post ...did u not post tis lazt month!!!! ok i get it that was was with pictures

    writers block eh!

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Hanisha said…

    OMG... another 'electronic hooters' sign? I thought Dheeraj Swapna had the monopoly on that one!

     
  • At 12:40 AM, Blogger Datasmith said…

    lol good one

     
  • At 1:03 AM, Blogger Harish said…

    Vikku, here are some more:

    1. Message on a tea coaster @ Papa's Cafe, Hyderbad

    ... 'This water is safe, This water is passed by Papa'

    2. Cleanliness drive by BMC @ Kalanagar signal, Bandra

    ... 'Yeh Gadhon Ki Pishaab Karne Ki Jagah Hai'


    3. Notice outside the venue of a Bachelors party @ hotel shang-ri-la, Singapore

    ... 'Inside All Men's Party!
    It is restricted to enter a women'


    4. Cabbies Verbiage: The message on a Bombay Taxi. (pun intended, certainly)

    ... 'Ma Ki Chu nri'



    Lol!

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what do i say!!!! aaaahhhh bangalore!!!!! :) :)

    - abhi

     
  • At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To add to this is " SHould India See Ranbir's bottoom: watch it on

    http://www.rediff.com/movies/2007/oct/31msg.htm

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    V
    I have a poster at home that was gifted to me when I left wonderful mumbai for my life down under... it is a collage of the best bombay street signs ever! Íncluding the bombay chinese menus of gobi manchuri and schewan paneer.

    However, my favourite was sent to by my client CRY when I was in Bombay - it was a dhaba selling cold beer, but in the aspirational style that is Punjabi dhabas, it said "CHILD BEAR".

    I am coming 'home' this Christmas and I live at the opposite end of Carters - near JP (sic) and otters. If I see a hot-lipped boy in a superman tshirt as I walk on the promenade after mass at St Annes, I'll be sure to give you a wave!

    Muah
    Shalini

     
  • At 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Funny stuff :) have you seen 'shineboards' - a set of posters on indian english? hilarious. You can get it in Gangarams

    PS: Dude, 't' is pronounced like in 'top' when read in south india. So don't drop your aitches unless you want to be misread :) Inadequacies of a foreign script what to do :)

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Blogger kaustubh said…

    Bikki,
    This time it was me who spurted the coffee on the keyboard.
    This is hillarious.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home